2012年5月9日星期三

Nature Notes: Bee Wisdom

"What life lessons have you learned from the honey bee?"

Before visiting an evening course on backyard beekeeping, I would have had no idea how to answer that question. It was posed by DJ Haverkamp of Bedford Bee Service, and after spending a couple hours with him and some bees, the answers came easily.

As I peered gingerly into the open hive, I felt a knot in my stomach. Since my childhood, I have associated bees with anxiety and fear. Once, when I was about 12, I raked up a ground hive of yellowjackets and got stung ten times. A few years earlier, just as my family was leaving for vacation, I plopped myself into the backseat and sat directly on a bee. I spent the next few hours on a bumpy ride with a painful bottom.

As an adult who works with children in the outdoors, I now have to soothe the anxieties of young ones who inadvertently get stung themselves. After dealing with a particularly upset camper one summer, I had a realization. If I am ever going to help children deal with their fear of bees,fjallraven expedition I was going to have to deal with my own first. And there is no better way to do this than with the honey bee.

Intellectually, I know how important the honey bee is.canada goose jackets It is because of the honey bee that plants are pollinated. I have bees to thank for the flowers in my yard, and the apple I ate this afternoon. Bees are a critical link in the food web of this planet. And, I do love honey! Even though my brain understands the importance of the honey bee, my feelings about bees had not changed.german militaria I know that as a child I got stung by yellow-jackets and not honeybees, but as an adult I still automate to the fear that was developed during those childhood stings. Tackling this kind of fear would take more than just reading about bees in a book. I would have to face my fear head-on.

I couldn't help but back up as I watched my classmates pull frames,canada goose sale cheap covered with hundreds of bees, out of the hive. As they held these frames, we looked for the queen. The bees mostly stayed calm on the frames because of the cool temperature that evening. They also stayed calm because we puffed smoke over the hive with a special smoker.authentic moncler coats The smoke masked the bees alarm pheromones, so if one of the bees was alarmed at a disturbance, the others would not be able to pick up on that signal.

"Oh my gosh, they're so small!" a classmate exclaimed, as she discovered one egg at the base of each round cylinder of honeycomb on the frame.

The eggs were so small, that we had to hold the frame in the light to make them visible. They looked like tiny scratches on the base of each wax cylinder. Her husband strained to see the eggs as he said "It's like you would never know that they are anything important."

没有评论:

发表评论