2012年12月17日星期一

Got around the ‘breast feeding problem’ and more...

She has the unique distinction of being the first woman in the country to earn the Doctorate in Medicine (MD) of the University of Ceylon.Shop the latest dsquared shoes on the world's largest fashion ... At the relatively young age of 40, she was appointed to the Chair of Paediatrics at the Faculty of Medicine, thus becoming the first woman to be appointed to a professorial chair. This week’s Reminiscences of Gold features this remarkable lady, Dr. Priyani Soysa, Emeritus Professor of Paediatrics of the University of Colombo. 

“I was born and bred in Moratuwa and I attended the school by the Lunawa lagoon, Princes of Wales College,Cheap hogan scarpe top quality online,100% authentic guarantee. from the Kindergarten up to the London Matriculation. I had no idea that I would end up doing medicine, but I won a prize in every class, except one year when I had whooping cough. I was also sports captain.This Canada Goose Camp Down will meet your current mountaineering expectations. We played Tennis against Colombo schools like Visakha, Ladies College, and Bishop’s College, winning some and losing some. We played netball,Stay warm and in style during the winter moths with the Canada Goose Manitoba Jacket. a rough game with another college in Moratuwa. There I dislocated my right shoulder, which troubled me for some time. So I learnt to manipulate my dislocated shoulder back into its socket. I also did extremely well in the Senior Cambridge with distinctions in every subject except Sinhalese where I got a credit. My father who had a foresight that a knowledge of Sinhala language would be important in the future coaxed me to do both Sinhalese and Latin,” said Dr. Priyani. 

“I met my husband (Dr. Ananda Soysa) while I was in the Medical College. We were body partners because at that time we had to dissect the body: the arms, the legs, the chest and brain. And it was a tough time. And when we were juniors the seniors used to throw body parts at us when the demonstrators were not around. On such days our clothes were smelling. We couldn’t even go in the bus but had to walk back to the YWCA hostel.This is my review of my Canada Goose Trillium Parka and how it ... We didn’t have a women’s hostel at that time. There were quite a few of us, five or six medical students, in the YWCA hostel which was a hostel for working women and not for students. There was a lot of noise with music, violins and guitars. We had to study in that environment. The Tennis in the evening was quite a welcome feature.” 
Social activities 

“I was at the top of the list coming first among the women and getting a first class with distinctions in Medicine, Obstetrics, Gynecology, Pharmacology, and my teachers were wondering what I was going to do. But I selected paediatrics and was awarded a scholarship by the government to proceed to England in 1953 which happened to be the Coronation Year. My husband resigned from the government service and accompanied me. His specialization was ENT Surgery. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay in England.” 

Upon her return from England, Dr. Priyani was posted to the Jaffna Hospital as Consultant Paediatrician. That was in 1956 when Prime Minister S.W.R.D. Bandaranaike’s 'Sinhala Only' policy created a stir in Jaffna. “I had to face many black flag demonstrations. Nevertheless I was popular among the patients and people of Jaffna. I participated in many social activities, even singing solos at Christmas time in the church, and made many friends. The women used to shout: “the big lady from the children’s ward.” 

“In the market I was charged less for vegetables. I did all sorts of things in Jaffna which didn’t cause any trouble. For instance the so called low caste women were not allowed to wear a jacket and they wore a cloth like our Diyaredda which used to embarrass me inside the ward. I made them wear hospital jackets and there was no protest. That way it was a lot easier for them when nursing their babies.”

没有评论:

发表评论