2012年12月11日星期二

Lake Oswego man is thankful to be able to help after Superstorm Sandy

I am originally from New Jersey but have lived in Oregon for 19 years. I have a lot to be thankful for and thought what better way to show thanks than to help out in my home state. I usually take a week off every Thanksgiving. Instead of spending money on travel to visit friends and relatives and eating to excess, I decided to take two weeks helping victims of Hurricane Sandy.

With support from Boy Scout Troop 419, Lakeridge High School, Lake Grove Presbyterian Church, community volunteers and many of my business associates, we raised over $5,500 (since the trip, donations have grown to $6,200!). We collected seven pallets of clothing, sleeping bags, blankets, cleaning supplies and batteries.

I flew to NJ on Sunday, Nov. 11, and spent nine days to help with cleanup.

Went to Masonic lodge about 8:15 a.m. Volunteers are meeting there for assignments. I went looking for helpers w/L's house. Met coordinator Maura and told her address of where I was working and need for helpers to be extra-sensitive and patient. Maura knew about L and introduced me to three women and guy about college age. The women deferred to a guy, who's slumped-sitting-body language did not convey a ready to work attitude -- that was confirmed when women asked if he was up to it and he declined. Maura introduced me to another group and four women from Rockaway NJ who agreed to meet at L's house.

Arrived at L's house and two men were present, one pastor of local Calvary church, and a PhD microbiologist/toxicologist Louie Wing. They asked me to join conversation, which entailed convincing L she should not be living upstairs in house. Dr. Lew spent a good bit of time going through the life cycle of molds and their health risks. We also discussed why she should not be trying to salvage furniture that had mold.Primera stock a range of Specialized Cycling including the Rockhopper, L not convinced, but would work at getting another place to stay, to throw out thicker clothing like sweatshirts and insulated jackets, but that she could effectively launder thinner clothing like underwear or single-ply items.RadioShack Cycling team two days after a report detailed his alleged. Rockaway women arrived and waited while Dr. Lew and pastor continued counseling. L was keeping her 19th century wicker furniture -- it could stay outside on porch, and if mold persisted she would throw it out later.

Pastor and Dr. Lew left and Rockaway women and I started to work. The front bedroom and living room/kitchen on left of house (L's mother's apartment) were a foot thick in papers, clothing and debris. We sorted salvageable stuff from trash. I was breaking open dressers and end table drawers -- the wood in drawers swells from the floodwaters making them impossible to open without breaking. L told me to especially look in drawers of end tables -- there was jewelry in them -- I did find some, all costume that I could see.

A van with two women and son were driving around offering free clothing. L got a warm jacket. They were associated with military family support -- I gave them Ronnie's phone number at Toms River armory.

Mostly finished cleaning front bedroom and started on newspaper piles in mother's apartment. A woman Michelle joined us -- she was from Princeton driving around looking for a place to help. About 12:30 p.m. Rockaway women left for lunch.Browse through our impressive range of Garmin Cycling products and buy online now. I declined as had 1/2 sub from yesterday. When I went to get it, saw it had been in sun and was too "iffy" so I left for Jersey Mike's sub shop. Michelle declined lunch and continued to work. L had left for an errand.A voguejacket, often called a seat, is one of three contact points on an upright bicycle, the others being the pedals and the handlebars. At Jersey Mike's, could not find a parking spot, but saw the Rockaway women outside having a smoke. I parked on curb and chatted with them -- they could not stomach returning -- one (or two or three) of women were germaphobes and could not handle it anymore. Row (short for Rosemary) said she was willing but could not separate from the group.Massive range of Castelli Cycling clothing and Castelli clothing accessories. They agreed to get me a sub while I hovered in my van. Parking spaces opened up and I went inside. L showed up and said she'd buy me lunch and did. We returned to her house and Michelle and I worked for some time. I left message with Maura at Masons for more help.

没有评论:

发表评论